Date published: Friday 14th February 2020 11:34
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says he is planning to hold talks with Mohamed Salah over being called up to Egypt’s Olympic squad.
Salah could be named as one of three overage players in Egypt’s Under-23s side for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Egypt’s manager this week confirmed he is planning to include Salah but admitted he is yet to speak to the attacker.
And Klopp has provided an update on the situation, insisting they do not want Salah to play in the competition.
Asked about if Salah will go to the Olympics, Klopp said: “No decision. Like always, it is clear.
“Do I want to lose a player in the pre-season? No. Of course not.
“It’s an Olympic games. I’m a sports person.. we have to see how we can deal with it.
“We have to consider different things. I will speak with Mo and we are clear what we want.
“We need more info and no one has contacted us so far.”
Speaking to ON Sport, Gharib said: “Out of the three senior players we’ll call-up, Salah is the only one we’re settled on so far because he’s simply one of the top three players in the world.
“I haven’t talked to Salah at all about him joining the U-23 squad for the Olympics, but in all honesty, his participation in the Olympics will need a little effort from him as well.”
But he appeared to backtrack and clarify they have no mandate to force his inclusion.
“Salah’s participation with the Pharaohs team in Tokyo is a decision to be taken only by Salah, his club Liverpool and his coach Jurgen Klopp,” he said.
“We cannot force Salah to participate with us because FIFA regulations do not compel him to participate.”